Project objective was to support the process of transformation and democratization of society in Ukraine with specific support of local self-government and Association of Ukrainian Cities and Communities (AUC). The project was based on Slovak experience but used also the experience of other transit countries, where it had been proved that strong and pragmatic self-government is not only a guarantee of democracy and important partner in the public administration reform but also significant state representative when solving economic problems.
Project objectives were fulfilled by:
- Information and experience exchange from the process of territorial and administrative reform and the process of decentralization in Slovakia
- Support of public discussion about prepared territorial and administrative reform in Ukraine, decentralization process, need and importance of local self-government and ways of reform implementation based on practical experience from Slovakia and other EU states
- Elaboration of expert materials designed to inform and prepare conception and legislation in cooperation with partner institutions (teamwork : MESA 10, AUC, RTI,)
Project consists of 5 activities:
- Realization of Study Trip for a group of 21 Ukrainian representatives to Slovakia with the aim to learn about the process and realization of reforms
- conference „Slovak reforms“ in Kyiv
- preparation of materials for public discussion about decentralization in Ukraine – Slovak and foreign findings and recommendations – with priority on financing of self-government municipalities, rayons and areas, which allows independent acting of self-government in assigned competences
- series of workshops (10) in Kyiv and in areas of Mykolaiv, Zaporozhie, Chernivtsi a Zakarpatie, with participation of state administration, self-governments, NGOs, academic representatives, political parties and other donors working in this area in Ukraine (see attachment for further details)
The project is in correspondence with the objectives of Slovak government in the cope of Slovak Aid program and in correspondence with agreement signed with Ukrainian partner to support process of territorial and administrative reforms in Ukraine and deliver experience from similar process in Slovakia to the project partners.
Letter from Association of Ukrainian Cities and Communities:
Lasting of the project: 04/2006 – 06/2007.
For more information about this project please click here:
Report on seminars in Ukraine.doc
Local democracy on Ukraine.pdf